[Open-education] Fwd: [oerworldmap-news] OER World Map Anounces Launch of Version 0.2

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Mon Jul 13 13:57:37 UTC 2015

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[oerworldmap-news] OER World Map Anounces Launch of Version 0.2
Date: 	Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:17:55 +0200
From: 	Jan Neumann <neumann at hbz-nrw.de>
To: 	<oerworldmap-news at listen.hbz-nrw.de>

Dear friends of the OER World Map,

I'm very happy to announce that we launched version 0.2 of the OER World
Map last Friday [1]! Thanks very much to all who supported the project
in the last months - it was a great experience to receive help and
feedback from all over the world!

The most important innovation is that we now have a map that can be
browsed and explored more meaningfully than the one on our initial
landing page. We have included only a small set of data so far,
additional data will be added in the next weeks with every new story.
Interesting things to look at are the country views [2] and the service
descriptions [3], which will be more elaborated in the near future.

Additionally, I would like to inform you that we have significantly
expanded our collection strategy. Originally we aimed at collecting only
data related to services which provide truly open materials (= cc by, cc
by-sa, cc by-nc?). Since the "gratis" services of today might become the
"open"-services of tomorrow we now believe that a more open approach
will be appropriate. To avoid "open washing" and to keep the focus on
open licensing we plan to develop an openness indicator [4] which will
visualize a service's or project's level of openness. More information
on this topic can be found on our FAQ page [5].

The next major release of the platform, which will include input
templates, is planned for September. We are still looking for stories
[6], so if you would like to see your OER activity on the Map, please do
not hesitate to contact us! We are looking forward to an exiting second
half of the project â?? hopefully with you contribution!

All the best

Jan Neumann & the OER World Map Team

[1] https://oerworldmap.org/
[2] e.g.: https://oerworldmap.org/country/gb