[Open-education] [OER] Creative Commons Open Business Models - Call For Participation

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Sat Mar 7 17:40:41 UTC 2015

Hiya All,

I am wondering whether people are not concerned that this initiative will
legitimize the practice of what we'll call 'closed' business models.

It wasn't so long ago there were protests over so-called 'business model
patents' and in Europe process patents (such as software patents) remain an
open issue.

I realize that Creative Commons typically deals with copyright (which cover
the expression of an idea) rather than patents (which cover the idea) but
nonetheless, it was not so long ago that the concensus was around the idea
that processes and models themsleves should be open by default, that is, not
encumbered in any way.

This initiative appears at first glace to be a concession to the defeat of
that consensus. I would prefer that the effort be continued to see that
processes, models and ideas remain unencumbered, rather than to explicitly
allow that they can be liense.

Just my $0.02 - you can have these ideas, however, royalty-free.

-- Stephen