[Open-education] [OER] Creative Commons Open Business Models - Call For Participation

Paul Stacey pstacey at creativecommons.org
Mon Mar 9 15:57:22 UTC 2015

Stephen:

Thanks for raising this concern.

You're right that ideas, processes, and methods for doing something are not
themselves copyrightable, but the expression used to describe them is. In
this case the authors of Business Model Generation created a business model
canvas as an expression of ideas in their book. We see nothing wrong with
respecting the authors application of the Creative Commons license to the
canvas.

As a creative work we appreciate the authors making the canvas available
for reuse and remix through a CC BY-SA license. We've taken the canvas and
generated a derivative version targeted for use in creating open business
models.  We rightly want to respect the application of the Creative Commons
license and give attribution to the original authors. We do not see this as
a concession to closed business models. In fact just the opposite, we see
this as a useful framework for exploring open business models and have
built in use of Creative Commons licenses to ensure the results of our
initiative are open to all.

I've long appreciated your advocacy for and insistence on resources not
being bound by enclosure. I invite you to use the canvas to show us
examples of businesses who successfully and/or unsuccessfully use and
contribute to the commons. Using the canvas will ensure we have a more
nuanced understanding of how to be open and still run a business.

I also think you'll find the open business model canvas a useful tool for
deriving an open business model for your own work at the National Research
Council. You'd do us all a great service if you created the model you plan
to use and highlight the unique ways your model is open.

Paul