[Open-education] [LibOER] Open licensing vs Exceptions/Limitations

William Cross wmcross at ncsu.edu
Wed May 6 16:56:09 UTC 2015

I think Kathleen's point is correct: open licenses remove concerns about
differing exceptions across nations and tap into the power of the online
community and the tools it enables.  Creators also have more power to be
granular about how they would like to see use made: commercial vs.
non-commercial, use vs. remix, etc.

I'd also add that in many countries, including the U.S., exceptions like
fair use are flexible but may be grounded in equitable judgments rather
than bright line rules.  As such, an open license gives users an
unambiguous "yes" where relying on exceptions is closer to a "probably"
that requires some risk assessment that many institutions may be
uncomfortable with.

It's also worth noting that international treaties like the TPP
<https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp> may cast doubt on the long-term viability
of even popular and capacious exceptions.  An open license removes doubt
and guarantees the ability to use in the middle- and long-term, regardless
of how the political winds are blowing.

Best,

   -Will

--
William M. Cross, J.D., M.S.L.S.
Director, Copyright & Digital Scholarship Center