[Open-education] [open-policy-network] Open licensing vs Exceptions/Limitations

Werner Westermann wernerwestermannj at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:57:30 UTC 2015

Dear all, regards, just a quick follow-up with round-up of your responses:

   1. International Legal compatibility:   legal interoperability of the
   open resources, specially in a regional and global scale where there is
   little copyright law.  This common permissions framework maximizes
   outreach, improves return on the investment, and extends institutional
   trust in reuse.
   2. Technical interoperability:  machine-readable markup of licenses
   helps to discover and retrieve open-licensed resources.
   3. Understandability:  understanding rights of use through licenses is
   much easier and explicit than through exceptions.

These qualities causes increase of use as:

   - a better understanding of possible uses through licenses creates
   certainty for more and diverse uses like remixing and granularity
   approach.
   - the certainty removes concerns and relieves fears and risks of illegal
   use, it protects and guarantees ability of use as laws may change in middle
   and long term.
   - resources come to be shareable and reusable as default.

Thanks again for your great insights, best wishes,

Werner