[Open-education] Policy debate and OER, copyright and education in the European Parliament on Nov 17 - Brussels

Paul Bacsich Sero paul.bacsich at sero.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 12:17:39 UTC 2015

There is a breakfast policy debate on copyright and education, which Alek Tarkowski is organising (on behalf of Centrum Cyfrowe and Communia, the European Association on the Digital Public Domain) with Michał Boni (a Polish member of the EuroParliament from the EPP Group) on the 17 November, in the European Parliament in Brussels.

Sadly I cannot be there but maybe some others on our list can be?

The European Parliament is often ignored by researchers who tend (for financial reasons) to be focussed on the European Commission but in fact the European Parliament commissions a number of studies on education and indeed on technology aspects of this.

In particular there was a report published earlier this year by the European Parliament on “Learning and teaching technology options” - http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2015/547407/EPRS_STU(2015)547407_EN.pdf  – and just last month was published my report for them on “Adult Education and Open Educational Resources” - http://www.europarl.europa.eu/thinktank/en/document.html?reference=IPOL_STU(2015)563397

Tw key recommendations of my report (the European Parliament insists on named authors, not teams or companies) were that:

“1) The Commission and Member States should adopt and recommend a standard Creative Commons license for all openly available educational and vocational training material they are involved in funding. 2) Member States should phase out use of the ‘NonCommercial’ restriction on content.”

Not all might agree with these but at least the recommendations were clear! (Normally in such reports the language is very vague, with ifs and buts rather than a specific recommendation for Creative Commons)

As usual, if anyone attends the debate and wishes to blog about it please let one of us know

Anyone attending should RSVP to Anna Stokowska (astokowska at centrumcyfrowe.pl).

For more details see http://oerpolicy.eu/please-join-us-in-brussels-for-policy-debate-on-copyright-and-education/

The original email from Alek follows this text.

Paul, on behalf of:

Paul Bacsich, Javiera Atenas, Elena Stojanovska
Editors, Open Education Working Group - http://education.okfn.org/blog/