[Open-education] Are MOOCs instrumental to open up education?

Darco Jansen darco.jansen at eadtu.eu
Wed Sep 9 09:36:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

The Open Education Handbook states that “open education is about removing barriers to education” (see http://booktype.okfn.org/open-education-handbook-2014/what-is-open-education/ ). Also Tony bates says that “An essential characteristic of open education is the removal of barriers to learning” (see http://www.tonybates.ca/2015/02/16/what-do-we-mean-by-open-in-education/ ).

This leads to a question like “Are MOOCs instrumental to open up education?”

Together with Fred Mulder we elaborated on that question in the book chapter “Opening Up Education and the OpenupEd initiative” in recently published book “MOOCs and Open Education Around the World”. To this end we examined if MOOCs indeed (can) contribute by:

1.       All unnecessary barriers to learning should be removed, both at the entry into learning and along the learning path.

2.       Learners should be facilitated with appropriate incentives to make progress and to succeed in their learning efforts

The book chapter is published under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License available at EADTU website:
http://www.eadtu.eu/home/policy-areas/open-education-and-moocs/news/263-are-moocs-instrumental-to-open-up-education

Your reflections are welcome.

Best regards,

Darco Jansen
Programme manager EADTU<http://www.eadtu.eu/>
Coordinator OpenupEd<http://www.openuped.eu/> / HOME<http://home.eadtu.eu/> / SCORE2020<http://www.eadtu.eu/home/policy-areas/open-education-and-moocs/news/221-score2020-project-on-moocs-approved>
Partner ECO<http://ecolearning.eu/> / BizMOOC

EADTU<http://www.eadtu.eu/> | European Association of Distance Teaching Universities
PO Box 2960, 6401 DL, Heerlen | The Netherlands
Valkenburgerweg 177, Heerlen<http://www.eadtu.eu/contact> | Office Athabasca<http://www.open.ou.nl/impuls/4_media_codering/campus.swf>, room 2.26 |
darco.jansen at eadtu.eu<mailto:darco.jansen at eadtu.eu> | +31 6 14829106 | +31 45 576 2745 | Skype: darco.jansen
http://nl.linkedin.com/in/darcojansen

Registration for the Online, Open and Flexible Higher Education Conference is open --> Register now!<http://conference.eadtu.eu/register?eventId=1&controller=event&task=individualRegister>