[Open-education] Sharing of nice practice how show usage of OER

Tamara Kovacova tamara.kovacova at eduin.cz
Wed Sep 23 12:58:49 UTC 2015

Hi Open Education and OER community,

encouraged by Nicole Allen, let me share our story with you as well :-).

I would like just share with you one of possible nice practice how to show
usability of OER (because Alek Tarkowski motivated us to do so :-) which we
are just experiencing..

As reaction on world migration situation we as EDUin (eduin.cz) motivated
couple of weeks ago czech organization of civic educaton teachers (
obcankari.cz ) to create handy worksheets for teachers of K12 about
migration with CC licence (in czech because we are targeting czech teachers
audience at the moment).

This worksheet (6 - 11 years)  are available here:
http://www.obcankari.cz/edukacni-material-pracovni-list-kdo-proc-utika

and here (12 - 16 years)):
http://www.obcankari.cz/edukacni-material-pracovni-list-migrant-azyl-azylant

We think that this activity can show that OER can for example:
1) react on new situation -  in terms of new content - very quickly (which
standard textbooks can not)
2) react on new situation in terms of quick spreading of the material when
it is needed (standard books are slower)
3) can join different school subjects together (based on modern  phenomenon
based learning strategy) - different subjects as civic education, history,
literature are taught mostly separatelly today and as well the most of the
textbooks keep school subjects separatelly as well. OER can serve better
for effective phenomenon based learning, e.g.  can easily join school
subjects together.

And we as EDUin made a promo mix  (even with press release seen as well
here
http://www.eduin.cz/tiskove-zpravy/tiskova-zprava-jak-ucit-o-uprchlicich/ )
of this OER worksheets among teachers, parents , experts, journalists.
Yesterday we got call from Czech Television :-).

So .. as far as Alek all the time asks for sharing some nice OER stories,
so I would like to share this with you :-).

btw - is there some place where nice OER/ Open education stories are
collected? We would like to know about more of those stories, which can
help us to do better advocacy for open education and OER :-).

Enjoy autumn :-),

Tamara

--

Tamara Kováčová
EDUin, o. p. s. - Vzdělávání je i naše věc
E-mail:  tamara.kovacova at eduin.cz
www.eduin.cz
EDUIn na Facebooku