[Open-education] [OER] Sharing of nice practice how show usage of OER - but in an NC context?

Paul Bacsich Sero paul.bacsich at sero.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 08:11:10 UTC 2015

Daniel Mietchen raises a very challenging issue about NC.

Would anyone care to lead with a blog posting on this? I do feel it is much more appropriate for a blog laying out the pros and cons rather than an exchange of emails on a list.

I notice that OER Africa has written on this in the past – e.g. at http://www.oerafrica.org/copyright-and-licensing-toolkit/what-does-non-commercial-mean

My initial thought is that views on this are affected by 1) how education is “delivered” in the countries of relevance to those discussing the topic and 2) the extent to which state or para-statal entities in such countries fund the private sector to “do good work” within the constraints of “non profit” participation – as for example the EU does extensively via LLP and Framework in the past and now Erasmus+ and Horizon 2020.

Paul Bacsich
Coordinator, Open Education Working Group - http://education.okfn.org/blog/
Senior Consultant, SeroHE