[Open-education] OER Quality?

Alexandre Enkerli aenkerli at vteducation.org
Fri Sep 25 18:39:47 UTC 2015

Soeren:

I think quality is really an issue. We did some empirical evaluation of
OpenCourseWare quality and found that it often suffers:

OpenCourseWare Observatory -- Does the Quality of OpenCourseWare Live up
to its Promise?
http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.5694
Thanks for this. Sounds very interesting. Two things, just from the abstract.
* Maybe those OCW resources are ok as early drafts and these issues could be solved iteratively.
* A college teacher in Montreal was specifically using OCW as an example for resources which are intimidating, because they target too high a level.

From my perspective the best way to improve quality while at the same
time progressing iteratively is following an open collaboration approach
Agreed! Same thing with Open Research, as has been done in the past twenty years. It can be like an "open kitchen plan".

(similar to Wikis, Wikipedia, OpenStreetMaps or GitHub)
Same examples here! Might add fed.wiki.org<http://fed.wiki.org> for good measure. But these four models cover a lot of ground.

We also started to work a bit in this direction with http://SlideWiki.org and are
currently preparing a larger project on the topic.
Do keep us posted! Sounds like Marieke was also interested in SlideWiki as a platform for this type of work.

— Alex

--
Alex Enkerli, Learning Technology Advisor
Vitrine technologie-éducation http://www.vteducation.org/en