[Open-education] [OER-advocacy] Amazon Inspire

Christoph Derndorfer christoph at derndorfer.eu
Thu Jun 30 19:40:11 UTC 2016

FWIW and regarding the licensing here's what it says on the Terms of Use
page (https://www.amazoninspire.com/terms_of_use):

"The default user license is Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
International, but there are others available."

In somewhat related news the US Department of Education also recently
launched its "#GoOpen Districts" initiative (
http://tech.ed.gov/open-education/go-open-districts/):

"The U.S. Department of Education’s #GoOpen campaign encourages states,
school districts and educators to use openly licensed educational materials
to transform teaching and learning."

For German speakers Leo Dobusch posted a good summary of both announcements
on netzpolitik.org:
https://netzpolitik.org/2016/amazon-startet-portal-fuer-offene-lernunterlagen-und-us-bildungsministerium-fordert-goopen/

Cheers,
Christoph

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 8:11 PM, Phil Barker <phil.barker at hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> This is from an earlier report on Inspire
> " Andrew Joseph, who was the cofounder of TenMarks and is now VP of
> strategic relations for Amazon Education, described Inspire during a
> session entitled “Transitioning to OER.”"
> "“We’ve made a commitment that we will never charge for this,” Joseph said
> in his presentation."
>

> https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/11/amazon-eyes-up-education-plans-a-free-platform-for-learning-materials/
>
> I *think* the current access restriction is because service is still in
> beta.
>
> Phil.
>
> On 27/06/16 18:50, William Mckee wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is this even free? Access is restricted which is a barrier. I hope this
>> will be open for all and  not just teachers. There is no mention of
>> licences. I assume everything is ccby or ccbysa.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> William
>>
>> On Tuesday, June 28, 2016, Paul Bacsich Sero <paul.bacsich at sero.co.uk
>> <mailto:paul.bacsich at sero.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>>     hi all
>>
>>     NEW York Times reports:
>>
>>     Just ahead of the back-to-school season,Amazon
>>     <http://www.nytimes.com/topic/company/amazoncom-inc?inline=nyt-org>is
>>     making a major foray into the education technology market for
>>     primary and secondary schools, a territory that Apple, Google and
>>     Microsoft have heavily staked out.
>>
>>     On Monday morning, Amazon said that it would introduce an online
>>     marketplace with tens of thousands of free lesson plans,
>>     worksheets and other instructional materials for teachers in late
>>     August or early September.
>>
>>     Called Amazon Inspire <https://www.amazoninspire.com/access>, the
>>     education site has features that may seem quite familiar to
>>     frequent Amazon shoppers. Search bar at the top of the page?
>>     Check. User reviews? Check. Star ratings for each product? Check.

>>     Amazon is joining other tech industry giants in an enormous push
>>     to expand the use of technology in the public schools.

Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
co-founder, TechnikBasteln® [www.technikbasteln.net]

e-mail: christoph at derndorfer.eu