[Open-education] [OER-advocacy] Re: [OER] THREE IN FOUR U.S. TEACHERS SAY OPEN EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES ARE USED MORE OFTEN THAN TEXTBOOKS | TES Global

Cable Green cable at creativecommons.org
Wed Mar 9 18:00:45 UTC 2016

Agree - it will be helpful to see the methodology and study details / data.

I have some friends at TES ... I'll ping them and will report back if I
learn more.

>From Dubai,

Cable

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 8:03 AM, Nicole Allen <textbooksnicole at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Priscila. To me this doesn’t look like a very rigorous survey with
> respect to OER. It’s done by a UK-based education technology company, and
> there isn't any information on the methodology or wording of the questions,
> which is suspect. They also make several factual errors in the press
> release, including how they describe US Department of Education policy and
> neglecting that textbooks can be open resources too. So, I suspect this
> probably doesn't distinguish between “open” and “free online”, and while
> the results may be meaningful in showing that teachers are moving *toward*
> more open resources (using free online resources is a first step), we
> should also beware of anything that promotes misunderstanding of what open
> means.
>

> Nicole Allen
> Director of Open Education
> SPARC,
> * the Scholarly Publishing andAcademic Resources Coalition*
> 21 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
> Washington, DC 20036
> +1 (202) 750-1637
> nicole at sparcopen.org
> http://www.sparcopen.org
> @txtbks <https://twitter.com/txtbks>
>

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 5:56 AM, Priscila Gonsales <prigon at educadigital.org.br>
> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone!
>
> Tks Cable for sharing this survey! It's amazing results!
> But I'm in doubt if this "open" the survey discuss about is related to
> "our open understanding" or is also related to "free understanding" (I mean
> not paid).
>
> Anyone knows?
>
> Priscila

>> http://www.tesglobal.com/teachertech2
>>
>> Cable

> *Priscila Gonsales*
> Instituto Educadigital
> www.educadigital.org.br
> Tel. (11) 99185-8452
> Twitter: @prigon
> FB: www.facebook.com/priscila.gonsales
> Skype: priscila.gonsales
> Ashokas's fellow <https://www.ashoka.org/fellow/priscila-gonsales>
>

> Twitter - twitter.com/ieducadigital
> Facebook -
> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Instituto-Educadigital/186836134700015
> Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ieducadigital
> Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/ieducadigital

> .

Cable Green, PhD
Director of Open Education
Creative Commons
@cgreen <http://twitter.com/cgreen>
*retain, reuse, revise, remix, redistribute*

*2015 State of the Commons Report
<https://stateof.creativecommons.org/2015/>Get Creative Commons Updates
http://bit.ly/commonsnews <http://bit.ly/commonsnews>*