[Open-education] ENC: [OER] Status of distance education degrees

ABED presidente at abed.org.br
Wed Jul 26 14:09:42 UTC 2017

Dear Hakikur Rahman,

It´s a pleasure to answer your question.

In Brazil, distance education degrees are recognized and the students and the degree itself do not have to mention if it was acquired online or in face-to-face courses.

Brazil has about 1.3 M distance education students in regulated Higher Education online courses, and about 7M students in regulated Higher Education face-to-face courses.

If we add the free-courses, that do not need government regulation, Brazil has more than 5M distance learning students.

Until 2017, it was mandatory for an institution to have face-to-face courses in order to get the approval to offer distance learning. Since last month, the regulation in Brazil allows for the institutions to create distance learning courses without having to offer face to face courses.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

We also have the analytic Census of Distance Education that has been published in Portuguese and English, if you want to understand our context in more depth, too: http://www.abed.org.br/site/en/media/census_odl/

Best regards,

Beitna Van Staa

Counselor ABED

-------- Mensagem encaminhada --------

[OER] Status of distance education degrees

Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:35:53 +0600

Hakikur Rahman  <mailto:email at hakik.org> <email at hakik.org>

Responder a:

Open Educational Resources - an online discussion forum  <mailto:oer-forum at lists.esn.org.za> <oer-forum at lists.esn.org.za>

Open Educational Resources - an online discussion forum  <mailto:oer-forum at lists.esn.org.za> <oer-forum at lists.esn.org.za>, open-education at lists.okfn.org <mailto:open-education at lists.okfn.org> , OPENEDSIG at jiscmail.ac.uk <mailto:OPENEDSIG at jiscmail.ac.uk> , ech at unesco.org <mailto:ech at unesco.org>

Dear Colleagues,

May I know about the status of distance education degrees around the
world. I know that Bangladesh does not recognize degrees under
distance education and online degrees.

Thanking you,
Hakikur Rahman