[Open-education] [OER] Status of distance education degrees

rory rory at athabascau.ca
Mon Jul 10 17:08:51 UTC 2017

Hakikur,

Thanks for this question. It seems that some developing countries, for example Brazil, do not recognize DE degrees; Brazil allows only a percentage of courses via DE to be recognzed (20%?). On the other hand, in the developed countries DE is becoming almost the norm. In fact,  I think you would be hard-pressed to find any university in the USA or Canada that does not have some form of  online DE for students. I think we are on the way to NOT recognizing the degrees from any institution that doesn't offer DE at least in a blended form. The world economy is online, society is online, why would governments not support education online. Why would governments insist on universities limiting themselves to only 19th century technology in the 21st century?

All the best.

Rory

Prof. Rory McGreal
UNESCO/COL/ICDE Chair in OER