[open-energy] energy.publicdata.eu in flash or javascript

Uli Schöberl uli.schoeberl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:15:31 GMT 2011

Hi,

there is a already well developed js/canvas based Visualisation Library
which developed out of the Flash based Flare Lib (http://flare.prefuse.org/
),
it's called protovis: http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/

it also features an example for our Dorling Cartograms:
http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ex/cartogram.html

But, I'm also still sceptical about browser compatability, stability and
'smoothness', as the graph we aimed for should not just visualise but also
engage, and the timeframe was very tight on this one.

Think its worth trying out the next time, and if doing flash we should
provide some kind of noflash version, maybe even static screenshots of a few
main states of the visualisation.

best
Uli

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> To respond to Julian's question 'why Flash?': I think the short answer
> is that we've got our eyes on Javascript and other more open
> technologies, but for now we've found that they are still not so good
> for (i) cross browser compatibility and (ii) too much movement. For
> some JS experiments related to our 'Where Does My Money Go?' project,
> please see:
>
> http://rufuspollock.org/wdmmg/explorer.html
>
> All the best,
>
> Jonathan