[open-energy] Fwd: energy.publicdata.eu in flash or javascript

Gregor Aisch gka at vis4.net
Fri Feb 18 12:55:43 GMT 2011

Hi Julian,

thanks for sharing your code example. I did this visualization in flash
because of the following reasons:

# The project had a very thin time frame of about one week for
development, so I had to work very fast. Working fast means relying on
stable components and libraries. There aren't many good SVG libraries
yet. RaphaelJS is very promising, but it's far from being bug-free.

# I'm still not 100% sure about the performance of SVG animations. I
recently did some testing on that field, and there are huge differences
in rendering speed between different browsers. Unfortunately there seems
to be no support for SVG transforms in IE 8, which means there is no way
for fast transformation of paths. In RaphaelJS this problem is "solved"
by re-drawing paths on every frame which is very slow.

On the other hand, Flash runs very fast, is browser-independent and is
full compatible to nearly every platform.

I really hope for some improvements in SVG rendering in future versions
of the major browsers, especially Internet Explorer and Firefox. In the
meantime, working with SVG animations is very experimental.

Gregor