[open-energy] energy.publicdata.eu in flash or javascript

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Feb 19 12:25:28 GMT 2011

On 18 February 2011 12:58, Gregor Aisch <gka at vis4.net> wrote:
> Again, the big issue is the Internet Explorer. I think ProtoVis has simply
> dropped the IE support from the beginning.
>

> Am 18.02.2011 12:15, schrieb Uli Schöberl:
>
> Hi,
> there is a already well developed js/canvas based Visualisation Library
> which developed out of the Flash based Flare Lib
> (http://flare.prefuse.org/),
> it's called protovis: http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/

Yes that's what this was done in:

<http://rufuspollock.org/wdmmg/explorer.html>

See also earlier email:

<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-visualisation/2010-October/000064.html>

> it also features an example for our Dorling
> Cartograms: http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ex/cartogram.html
> But, I'm also still sceptical about browser compatability, stability and
> 'smoothness', as the graph we aimed for should not just visualise but also
> engage, and the timeframe was very tight on this one.

Exactly. Protovis is svg based and you have to do work (via a
flash-hack in fact) to get IE compatability.

Also decent animations aren't yet in protovis -- they are promised for
the next releaes I believe.

Rufus

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation