[open-energy] Update on research for second visualisation

Dirk Heine dirk.heine at emle.eu
Fri Jan 28 08:52:44 GMT 2011

Dear all,

 An update about the “Race towards 20-20-20” visualisation. Remember, the
idea was to not illustrate progress towards renewable energy sources (RES)
and efficiency as separate to the GHG-targets but to instead capture the
former's contribution to the latter.

 Unfortunately, data on the contribution of RES and efficiency to total
CO2e-avoided was only available for Germany and the Netherlands (see
http://www.cbs.nl/NR/rdonlyres/7984173F-4BFF-4DAC-A9C0-DBA2B4BBDDC0/0/2008c90pub.pdfp.11
ff; and
http://www.bmu.de/files/pdfs/allgemein/application/pdf/ee_zeitreihe.pdfp.14)
despite extensive searches. We checked if it is possible to
approximate this data by just computing the difference in life cycle
emissions if countries had not used RES but instead their average fossil
CO2e/KWH but this is not waterproof since countries use RES to displace
rather low-emission peakload sources. But also for the later there is no
pan-European data, so we dropped it.

 The idea remains to show in one easy picture both how far countries are
towards their emissions targets and how they got there. But for the “How” we
would now like to visualise those mitigation-measures listed in the EEA's
database PAM (
http://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/climate/pam/output?any_word=&normal=SEARCH)
and the concept for this will be posted on the etherpad after the current
work on Gregor's project.

Also for this new concept there were data issues but they seem now solvable.
Eurostat provides CO2e-emissions annually and with two years lag (although
we might be lucky that the decision in *point 3.2.1. of COM/2009/0433final
could mean that higher-frequency data will become available soon) **but in
the meantime we would try to get higher frequency from PIK or 4CMR. Also
Enerdata has shorter lag but is too expensive. *

 *Now regarding Gregor's project. We tried to get CO2e for the energy
production-sectors in tsdpc320 and the selected consumption sectors in
ten00076-ten00081**. **It is not directly available but for production it
can be estimated using the conversion facturs published by EUmayors (
http://www.eumayors.eu/mm/staging/library/seap_ta_lang/docs/technical_annex_en.pdf)
and for consumption we believe to have found this data in the EU's Inventory
Report 2010 to UNFCCC (see annex 2.5 of
http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/european-union-greenhouse-gas-inventory-2010).
I will try calling the number given in that report and/or the ESDS-hotline
today to verify that the categories in that table match those in the
consumption tables. It still does not provide CO2e but all the necessary
components and we will then calculate CO2e based on the conversion factors
in the IPCC reports. Tiring, but Gregor also found that the visualisation
may look exciting with it and we found a way how this would not give an
information overload to the viewer but flow rather naturally.  *

 *Sorry for long email. *

 *With best wishes also from Nathaniel,*

 *Dirk*