[open-energy] Update on EU energy data visualisations

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Jan 31 10:58:13 GMT 2011

Hi all,

Following is a quick progress update on the energy data visualisations
we're producing.

You can see an alpha version of what we have so far at (please do not
circulate this link beyond this list for now):

  * http://www.driven-by-data.net/sketch/open-energy/demo.html

Comments:

  * In the final version one will be able to click on the countries to
see a breakdown of consumption, production and progress towards the
2020 renewables target. At the moment you can test this by clicking on
the flag. Clicking on the flag again let you return to the 'overview'
screen.
  * We are currently working on how to simplify the menu system to
make it more integrated with the visual design. The current menu
system is just for the demo. In the final version there will be
several different presets to choose from, e.g. total consumption,
total production, total renewables energy production, and so on. We
may add an 'expert mode' for experienced users later, if we want to
retain the full complexity of the menu.
  * We will produce animations on the basis of interactive graphics
which will be able to be played without input from a user. These will
alternate between the various views comparing EU countries, and
'zoomed in' views showing information about all the different EU
member states. The sequence should be long and varied enough for it to
be interesting to watch, and not too repetitive!
  * We are going to limit the use of language, trying to make the
graphics speak for themselves and using icons wherever we can. Where
we use words to explain what is happening we will have several EU
languages (probably English, French and German).

We're aiming to have this done by Wednesday this week. Any feedback
before this date would be very much appreciated.

More on the way soon!

All the best,

Jonathan

--