[open-heritage] Getting started with new Working Group on Open Data in Cultural Heritage

Federico Morando federico.morando at polito.it
Wed Jun 23 11:44:46 UTC 2010

On 06/22/2010 07:07 PM, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> This is a new list for discussion of open data (and open content?) in
> the cultural heritage sector. At the moment I've started this list
> with only a handful of people and so it would be great if everyone
> could give a sentence (!) or two briefly introducing themselves and
> giving a sense of the main things they are interested in.

Dear all,

my name is Federico Morando and I'm a research fellow and the managing
director of the NEXA Center for Internet & Society at the Politecnico di
Torino in Italy. I'm especially interested in cultural heritage laws.
Moreover, my field of study is related to the economic analysis of
intellectual property law and I'm trying to investigate cases in which
cultural heritage law de facto recreates
quasi-intellectual-property-rights over cultural heritage artifacts (and
their images). For personal reasons, I'm also greatly interested in
ancient numismatics. All that is more interesting for me in cases in
which the use/re-use of cultural heritage (open) data and content can
(could) be done online (and by online communities).

If you want to know more about me: http://nexa.polito.it/staff#morando .

As you may guess from these few lines, my suggestion with respect to
Jonathan's question about the topic of the list ("and open content?")
would be "Yes, open content as well!", at least in some cases, where
cultural heritage law becomes an obstacles (in particular) to the
circulation of images of works of art and other relevant artifacts,
which should be in the public domain from the point of view of
intellectual property.

Best,

Federico