[open-heritage] Open data from cultural heritage organisations?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Nov 23 11:11:20 UTC 2010

On 11/22/2010 11:44 PM, Mia Ridge wrote:

> Releasing content for commercial re-use is also problematic for some
> museums - it's one reason museums don't have more material on Wikipedia.

Heya.

I'd like to ask about this so I can add some details to the wiki if
that's OK.

How is allowing commercial re-use problematic for museums? Is this to do
with their charter or funding, or more of a business plan or cultural
thing? Are there any examples of this that are public knowledge and that
it would be OK to link to on the wiki?

Thanks.

- Rob.