[open-heritage] Fwd: Museums Hack Day

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Mar 25 00:15:25 UTC 2011

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Linda Ellis <Linda.Ellis at wolverhampton.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM
Subject: Museums Hack Day
To: SCANEWSLETTER at jiscmail.ac.uk

WAG Hack Day
Saturday 16 April 2011, 10am - 6pm

at the Public, West Bromwich

What can you create using our open data feed?

We are looking for web developers, designers and programmers to help
us explore ideas about how our data feed can be used to create new and
interesting stuff!

Bring your own laptop          Refreshments and lunch provided

We also have a limited number of places for non-techie museum staff
interested in getting their museum objects out to a wider audience.

Book your place

More info...

Over the last 12 months museums and archive services in the Black
Country have been working together to make their collections
information available online via our Black Country History website.

Metadata for our museum and archive items is available as an
Application Programmer’s Interface (API) that is easy to use and quick
to get started with. Via the API you can submit search queries to
return metadata for individual partners or subjects. The API is based
upon OpenSearch, and by default takes a Lucene style query syntax.

Our data is also fed into the Culture Grid which has its own API which
includes data from dozens of cultural organisations across the UK.

We are hoping that developers will use our metadata, either on its own
or mixed with other data sets to create a new widget, mashup or
application.

More details on our hack day website and you can also follow us on
twitter @WAGhack.

Linda Ellis
Project Manager Black Country Collections Online

Wolverhampton Art Gallery
Lichfield Street
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
WV1 1DU

tel. 01902 552 048
fax. 01902 552 053
www.wolverhamptonart.org.uk

DISCLAIMER: This email and files transmitted are
confidential and are intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the person responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose,
distribute or use it in any unauthorised manner. If you
have received this email in error please notify us by
email to postmaster at wolverhampton.gov.uk and then delete
it and any attachments accompanying it. Please note that
Wolverhampton City Council cannot guarantee that this
message or any attachments are virus free or have not been
intercepted and amended.
Any views or opinions expressed within this email are
those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those
of Wolverhampton City Council and no contractual
arrangement is intended to arise from this communication.

Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation
http://blog.okfn.org