[OpenGLAM] BillionGraves index/images now available through FamilySearch

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 22:25:10 UTC 2012

Cemetery transcriptions have been crowdsourced since the typescript days.
 In the digital era, FindAGrave has been around a lot longer and has much
more data (91 million graves worth) than BillionGraves (although BG's
mobile app and separate capture vs transcription steps are nice additions).

I don't know if you've ever lobbied a church to do your bidding, but
getting the Mormons (owners of FamilySearch and GEDCOM X) to do anything
other than exactly what they want on either the licensing front or schema
front seems like a stretch to me.  There's also a nascent standards
organization, FHISO, working in this space, but they are in very early
stages. http://fhiso.org/

The type of information that you'd want in your schema depends a lot on
what you are trying to do.  A genealogist would want to see Age added.
 Someone researching stone carvers might want information on symbology.  If
you're going going to have access to legible photos, most researchers would
want a verbatim transcript in addition to any derived structured data.  I'm
not sure how much time you want to invest in all this though, until you
have a project that you're actually going to use it for.

Tom