[open-heritage] BillionGraves index/images now available through FamilySearch

todd.d.robbins at gmail.com todd.d.robbins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 00:08:07 UTC 2012

So I've been on the sidelines of the discussion about a potential Open
Gravestones project [1] within OKFN and have been following the
BillionGraves [2] project. The index/images are now available through
FamilySearch, though lacking any declaration of openness about the data. [3]

There are nearly one million records so far, and I'm wondering if OKFN and
others (the Open Genealogy Alliance [4], for example) would be interested
in entering talks with FamilySearch and BillionGraves about adopting
Creative Commons or Open Definition licenses for these types of (generally)
public domain documents. Since FamilySearch is the largest genealogical
organization in the world, I figure this could be a worthy project to
invest some thought and time.

I'd love to get Open Gravestones going and I'm curious of your thoughts.

[1] http://humanities.okfn.org/2012/02/17/meeting-2012-02-15/
[2] http://billiongraves.com/
[3] See: https://familysearch.org/node/1714 and
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/2026973