[open-heritage] Go Walters Art Museum!

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:11:34 UTC 2012

Thanks Jonathan for sharing this!

This declaration of sorts and the contribution of over 20,000 high res
images from the Walters to Commons, stemmed from a day long workshop
similar to what took place at OKFest this year.

I then worked closely with the Walters and Dylan, head of digital new media
came down to a GLAM WIKI conference co- planned and hacked out an upload
system with MediaWiki hackers. Two weeks later the images were on Commons
and being viewed and used more than they ever were simply being on the
Walters website!

I then nagged Dylan (literally) about the site copyright. It was using a
CC-BY-SA-NC licence. Weeks later.... Voila!

Case study is in the works! :)

Now we have a new project where they are working with Wikipedians to
translate Medieval Latin documents. Yes, Latin!

Sarah