[open-heritage] Fwd: DPLA Appfest: November 8-9, 2012 in Chattanooga, TN

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Oct 4 21:54:17 UTC 2012

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kenny Whitebloom <kwhitebloom at cyber.law.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Subject: [dpla] DPLA Appfest: November 8-9, 2012 in Chattanooga, TN
To: dpla-discussion at eon.law.harvard.edu, dpla at eon.law.harvard.edu

 Dear all,

The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) is delighted to announce our
first Appfest <http://dp.la/get-involved/events/appfest/>, an informal,
open call for both ideas and functional examples of creative and engaging
ways to use the content and metadata in the DPLA back-end platform. The
first *Appfest will take place on November 8-9, 2012, at the Chattanooga
Public Library on The 4th Floor*. We’ll have access to their new 1 gig
wireless internet connection, so anything you build should be smokin’ fast!

We’re looking for web and mobile apps, data visualization hacks, dashboard
widgets that might spice up an end-user’s homepage, or a medley of all of
these. There are no strict boundaries on the types of submissions accepted,
except that they be open source (the DPLA platform is released under a AGPLv3
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html>license) and interoperable with
the DPLA platform. Participants are asked to pitch ideas for apps on the DPLA
Appfest wiki page <http://dp.la/wiki/Appfest> before the event, as pitches
made on the wiki will inform what is made on Friday, November 9th.

For inspiration, participants might consider building or pitching an app
that recommends books and other content based on user preferences or a
certain set of criteria, an app that helps kids find content related to the
topic of their favorite book, or an app that visualizes bibliographic data
in new and interesting ways. Any number of approaches to building or
pitching an app that utilizes the DPLA platform are open for exploration.
We encourage participants to engage the public in their development
processes to the extent that they are comfortable doing so.

*Registration is free and open to the public; register
here<http://dp.la/get-involved/events/appfest/register/>
.*

For more information about the DPLA Appfest, including a preliminary agenda
and information regarding scholarships, please consult the Appfest page on
our site <http://dp.la/get-involved/events/appfest/>.

Questions? Email us at dpla at cyber.law.harvard.edu.

Best,
Kenny