[open-heritage] [open-bibliography] Europeana opens up data on 20 million cultural items

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 15:12:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
> FYI I just posted a brief piece on the Guardian Datablog about the
> significance of today's big release of CC0 data from Europeana:
>
> https://twitter.com/jwyg/status/245847476899295233
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/12/europeana-cultural-heritage-library-europe

That's great news, but is it really CC0 if it's behind an API with
Terms of Service use restrictions?  Is there a bulk download available
somewhere?
How does this data relate to the individual downloads made available
last year at http://pro.europeana.eu/web/guest/datasets ?  It doesn't
look like those have been updated since then, but are they now covered
by the CC0 license as well?

For those who want to short circuit the multiple levels of
clickthrough required, here are some links:

API registration form: http://pro.europeana.eu/web/guest/registration
Terms of Use: http://www.europeana.eu/portal/rights/api-terms-of-use.html

Tom