[open-heritage] [open-bibliography] Europeana opens up data on 20 million cultural items

Joris Pekel okfn.joris.pekel at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 12 15:21:45 UTC 2012

Hi Tom,

I understand your concerns and we have been debating these as well with
Europeana. It will probably not answer all your questions, but here is some
additional info:

- All of Europeana's metadata will be available as bulk download under the
CC0-waiver. This will be officially released in October on the datasets
page.  At the OKFest some of these will already be available to hack on.
- The API has a key on it yes. The API is being renewed however. When the
new API is released (which is also available next week at OKFest) there
will be far less restrictions and anybody can make use of a the API, in
that sense I do not see a problem in having a key.

It is now up to the dev community to experiment with the possibilities of
this CC0 release.  I personally think this is a great achievement for open
cultural data and will push more institutions towards opening up their data!

Best,

Joris

2012/9/12 Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>
> wrote:
> > FYI I just posted a brief piece on the Guardian Datablog about the
> > significance of today's big release of CC0 data from Europeana:
> >
> > https://twitter.com/jwyg/status/245847476899295233
> >
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/12/europeana-cultural-heritage-library-europe
>
> That's great news, but is it really CC0 if it's behind an API with
> Terms of Service use restrictions?  Is there a bulk download available
> somewhere?
> How does this data relate to the individual downloads made available
> last year at http://pro.europeana.eu/web/guest/datasets ?  It doesn't
> look like those have been updated since then, but are they now covered
> by the CC0 license as well?
>
> For those who want to short circuit the multiple levels of
> clickthrough required, here are some links:
>
> API registration form: http://pro.europeana.eu/web/guest/registration
> Terms of Use: http://www.europeana.eu/portal/rights/api-terms-of-use.html
>
> Tom

Joris Pekel