[open-heritage] Contemporary Artists CC outreach project

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 09:41:38 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I made a PiratePad for organizing the contemporary art documentation
project:

http://piratepad.net/ContemporaryArtCC

Right now we're building a gathering of sources. A few things we also
need to discuss:

  * Who will be our focus group?
      o My intention was to have this be geared specifically towards
        contemporary visual artists, to be used by Open GLAM
        professionals to promote free licenses by those artists. Over
        the course of the week, participants also suggested writers,
        musicians, all types of creators. Perhaps we can start with one
        geared towards contemporary artists, in order to have something
        of quality in a timely manner, and move further? Or make
        something more encompassing?
  * I see this document being something similar to the Wikimedia
    Foundation's Annual Report:
    http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Annual_Report
      o Imagine a document that looks good online and on paper, with
        simple calls to action for artists to share their works. If
        we're pitching to visual artists, it's important that we have a
        visually attractive document with short and simple writing
        styles and visual examples of free work.
  * Who will print it? Who will support this financially? Will we need
    that at all? (The artists I know prefer to hold things in their hand
    versus have a PDF online...)
  * What names will be on it - as in organizational names. Where will
    this document live?

I'm on airport wifi right now and it won't let me connect to Ether or
PiratePads. So perhaps someone can dump this to the Piratepad or It'll
just have to wait until I'm back in the States and not jet lagged :)

Please add your name and contact information. We'll most likely have to
have the occasional Skype/Hangout call, too.

I also encourage you to share resources, and start brainstorming. I have
to tie this into my volunteer capacity since I do not have the pleasure
(yet) to work in the GLAM/Open Culture field in a paid capacity at this
time, so it'll take a happy group of volunteers to make this develop
quickly!

Thanks,

Sarah

--