[OpenGLAM] OpenGLAM principles v.0.2

Catherine Styles cath.styles at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 00:17:01 UTC 2013

Hello,
I'm very happy to see this material and resources developing. So first up,
thank you for getting it started!

Second, following on from Heath's thoughts about institutional reluctance,
I think it would help to include some context that clarifies that openness
is entirely in line with and in service of the business of museums (at
least those that are publicly funded). In other words, the principles (or
the preamble to them) should address the question: why should you should
care about openness? The answer is something like the following:

Public GLAMs are measured (and funded) on how well they perform their
required mission of access to and engagement with their collection. To open
a collection to digital use and reuse is to enter a whole new world of
reportable performance enhancement.

Ok that last part may be clumsy but are you picking up what I'm putting
down? (Also, does that serve as an inducement for your number 3? Ie GLAMs
could specify that in exchange for access, they would appreciate
quantitative/qualitative data on collections use.)

Finally, can I request a small but significant single-word edit? if you say
'humankind' instead of 'mankind' you easily include, well, half of all
humans that might otherwise feel excluded.

O, one more thing: I agree it would feel better if instead of 'To be an
OpenGLAM institution you must:' you simply said 'OpenGLAM institutions:'

Regards,
Cath

@cathstyles

--