[OpenGLAM] OpenGLAM Principles v0.5 and FAQ

Maarten Brinkerink mbrinkerink at beeldengeluid.nl
Fri Apr 26 18:39:34 UTC 2013

Dear all,

Some suggestions:

> The internet affords cultural heritage institutions a radical new opportunity to engage global audiences and make their collections more discoverable and connected than ever, allowing users not only to enjoy the riches of the world’s memory institutions, but also to contribute,participate and share.

Based on some conversations at the Digisam in Malmo and in particular the insights of Tim Sherratt, I would like to suggest to ad "meaningful" to "discoverable and connected" and "add value" to "contribute, participate and share".

> 1. Where possible digital information about the works (metadata) should be released under the Creative Commons Zero Waiver.
> This promotes the maximum possible reuse of the data and allows your resources to become more discoverable
Maybe this could even explicitly mention that this ensures compliance with big aggregators like indeed Europeana and DPLA.

> 2. Try and keep digital representations of public domain works in the public domain by not adding new rights to them.
> Digital representations of public domain works should be placed in the public domain via the use of the Public Domain Mark. This promotes the maximum possible reuse of the content
I like that this is explicitly mentioned and realize now that we should mirror this with Open Cultuur Data (and we will!). Might I also suggest to refer to the Europeana PD Charter and/or COMMUNIA PD manifesto here?

> 4. When publishing data use open file formats which are machine-readable.

Although I like this one, I think open formats and standards require a open heritage equivalent of a five star model, because - as mentioned by Sebastiaan in a previous response - there are many levels of openness within a digital delivery structure (open source tools/platforms, media formats, metadata standards, output formats, API's, etc.). I wouldn't want to put off smaller institutions that are for instance only able to open up in terms of licensing the content/data.

Then some general remarks:

- I believe it would be beneficial if we could investigate where we can and/or should mirror other principles. For instance, I would like this to be as much in line with 'our' Open Cultuur Data principles (www.opencultuurdata.nl/about/), which are:

1. Open Culture Data is knowledge and information of cultural institutions, organisations or initiatives about their collections and/or works
2. Everyone can consult, use, spread and re-use Open Culture Data (through an open license or by making material available in the Public Domain).
3. Open Culture Data is available in a digital (standard) format that makes re-use possible.
4. The structure and possible applications of Open Culture Data are documented, for instance in a data blog
5. The provider of the Open Culture Data is prepared to answer questions about the data from interested parties and respects the efforts that it costs that the open data community invests in developing new applications.

What is IMHO missing from the current version is an explicit mention of the importance of good documentation. This is crucial for the facilitation of reuse and for reaping the benefits of opening up, namely, having others improve and build upon what you've made available.

- Apart from the principle about PD having to remain PD, I'm missing a statement about actual works in general. For instance using CC-BY/CC-BY-SA for in-copyright content that institutions are able to release themselves.

Best,

Maarten, also on behalf of my colleague Lotte

Op 26 apr. 2013, om 14:08 heeft Estermann Beat <beat.estermann at bfh.ch> het volgende geschreven: