[OpenGLAM] help - outstanding cases in opening data/ reuse cases

Sam Leon sam.leon at okfn.org
Fri Aug 2 09:56:04 UTC 2013

Hi Helene,

Wow, some big questions, and it would be difficult to capture all that has
been going on in this area in one email.

A couple of pointers for general resources that might help you answer your
question and a few examples off the top of my head.

*GLAM Institutions opening up data*
*
*

   - The OpenGLAM blog has many examples and announcements of GLAMs opening
   up, see for instance the recent post about the Walter's Museum removing
   their non-commercial clause on public domain works (
   http://openglam.org/2013/04/25/2060/). I'd suggest a trawl through the
   archive :)
   - OpenGLAM Open Collections (http://openglam.org/open-collections/)
   lists numerous examples of collections held by GLAMs that have open
   licenses applied to them

*Re-use of openly licensed material*
*
*

   - Again - a huge area - and one where we could do with better statistics
   and metrics (so great your doing this work)
   - The GLAMWiki case studies on use of openly licensed material from
   GLAMs on Wikimedia sites might be an interesting starting point. Sarah
   Stierch published one on OpenGLAM (
   http://openglam.org/2013/01/22/walters-art-museum-a-case-study-in-sharing/),
   but more can be found on the GLAMWiki site itself.

*
*
*Interesting cases of collaborations, crowdsourcing, enriching metadata, etc
*
*
*

   - There are many examples in this area, but a few off the top of my head:
      - The Transcribe Bentham Project -
      http://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/transcribe-bentham/
      - Distributed Proofreaders (who help to transcribe a lot of
      Gutenberg's books) - http://www.pgdp.net/c/
      - Old Weather, crowdsourcing the weather of the past using ships logs
      from 150 years ago - http://www.oldweather.org/

I hope that helps and do share back the fruits of your labour, it would be
great to see the examples you come up with.

All the best,
Sam

On 31 July 2013 13:56, Helene Hahn <helene.hahn at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to sum up some interesting outstanding cases for our conference
> "Zugang gestalten!" in the following categories
>
> 1. GLAM institutions opening up data
> 2. international commercial and non-commercial reuse cases
> 3. interesting cases of collaborations, crowdsourcing, enriching metadata,
> etc.
>
> Do you know any cases that fit in these categories? I hope you can help me
> out a little.
> I've created an etherpad to drop links, ideas and what ever cases you know
> of.
> http://de.okfnpad.org/100003
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Helene
>
> --
> Helene Hahn
> Projektassistenz
>
> Open Knowledge Foundation Deutschland e.V.
> Schlesische Str. 6
> 10997 Berlin
> www.okfn.de | info at okfn.de | @okfde
> +49 30 57703666 0 | Fax: +49 30 57703666 9
>
> Wir setzen uns für offenes Wissen ein - helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://www.okfn.de/spenden
>
> Open Knowledge Foundation Deutschland e.V.
> Kontonummer: 3009670
> BLZ: 830 944 95
> Verwendungszweck: Spende
>
> Der Open Knowledge Foundation Deutschland e.V. ist als gemeinnütziger
> Verein durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin anerkannt. Spenden
> sind steuerlich absetzbar.

*

Sam Leon

Project Manager  | skype: samedleon  |  @Noel_Mas<https://twitter.com/noel_mas>