[OpenGLAM] [OpenGLAM Pick of the Week] - The Poetess

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at okfn.org
Thu Feb 14 00:41:58 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I chose this week's OpenGLAM Pick of the Week. An engraving of Phillis
Wheatley, the first African American woman to ever be published.

http://openglam.org/2013/02/13/openglam-image-of-the-week/

As a curator, I'll always hold a sentimental spot in my heart for
Phillis Wheatley. One of the first label copies I ever wrote for an
exhibition was about the bust of Wheatley created by Elizabeth Catlett.[1]

I hope you enjoy learning about her short, but impactful, life on our blog.

-Sarah

[1] An image of the bust is here:
http://africanamericanart.si.edu/items/show/32

--
Sarah Stierch
US OpenGLAM Coordinator, Open Knowledge Foundation