[OpenGLAM] White House memo increases access to taxpayer-funded research

Dominic McDevitt-Parks mcdevitd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 22:16:41 UTC 2013

I wanted to share this news, since it does not seem to have come up yet. A
new White House memo, in response to an online petition, has created a
policy that will increase the amount of U.S. taxpayer-funded research which
must be made open access. It specifically refers to the NIH policy as a
model. Here is a quote from the petition
response<https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/increasing-public-access-results-scientific-research>
authored
by John Holdren, Director of the White House Office of Science and
Technology Policy (i.e., the science czar):

Americans should have easy access to the results of research they help
> support.

To that end, I have issued a memorandum today
(.pdf)<http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/ostp_public_access_memo_2013.pdf>to
Federal agencies that directs those with more than $100 million in
> research and development expenditures to develop plans to make the results
> of federally-funded research publically available free of charge within 12
> months after original publication. As you pointed out, the public access
> policy adopted by the National Institutes of Health has been a great
> success. And while this new policy call does not insist that every agency
> copy the NIH approach exactly, it does ensure that similar policies will
> appear across government.

The Huffington Post also covered the story here: <
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/25/aaron-swartz-white-house-taxpayer-funded-wish_n_2758744.html
>.

Dominic