[OpenGLAM] Paper: Consequences, risks and side-effects of the license module “non-commercial use only”

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 19:24:06 UTC 2013

This document has a great opportunity to serve as a primary learning
tool for people using and considering NC licenses. (And as ammo for
those who hate it!)

Forgive me for being so blunt here, but, despite feeling quite confident
in my knowledge about the use of Creative Commons licenses, as a native
English speaker there are a number of sections that have me scratching
my head. I believe it's due to being "lost in translation," during the
English translation process. (Too many words (i.e. "wordy"), grammar,
general typos, over explaining.) It looks like they used a crowdsourced
translation system for the initial translation, which is something that
the Wikimedia Foundation has ceased doing on documents such as this
("too many cooks in the kitchen," is often the case).

Section 7 could use better clarity. Section 9 is misleading, as
Wikipedia does make agreements with individuals regarding licensing
through our permissions system, so I was confused by its inclusion.

I look forward to seeing the documents continued evolution, and even a
shorter version for those who prefer a quick and easy break down. I do
hope this opens the doors for freer licensing in Europe, I look forward
to hearing if there are any success stories.

-Sarah

On 1/10/13 10:16 AM, Edson, Michael wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone who worked on this document (!!), and to OKFN in general for strongly and consistently advocating that NC is not an open format - - that is so, so, so helpful and clarifying. <3
>
> However, is anybody else confused by section 7 in the document, which is about using SA as a way to prevent commercial re-use in certain circumstances?
>
> I think the clarity of this section could be improved regarding the ramifications of incorporating edited, as opposed to un-edited, CC-SA resources into compilation/collection/ derivative works. If I understand correctly, this affects whether the resulting resource is "infected", and needs to be released as CC-SA, or not.
>
> (Also, there are a couple of typo's and grammatical errors in section 7.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael Edson
> Director, Web and New Media Strategy
> Smithsonian Institution