[OpenGLAM] City Archives Amsterdam

Maarten Zeinstra mz at kl.nl
Wed Jan 23 09:07:11 UTC 2013

Hi all,

The Amsterdam City Archives are famous for their locked down position on their cultural content. It frustrates me, mainly because they are government funded and their policy choices are still based on a analog world. The velehanden.nl (many hands) project disproportionally takes resources from the volunteers and gives only little back to that community. Although it is true that they remunerate their own volunteers by giving them a bit of access to their archive, that is not how volunteering works on the internet. Like open source development, Wikimedia projects, and the like the volunteer gives her/his time to a project to help better the world not one archive. It is not only their access policy that is still analog,  but also their community management and structure.

As Creative Commons Netherlands we've been in some talks with this institution, trying to show them that they are misunderstanding how the digital world works. We were unsuccessful.

Talking about family history. I do like to celebrate and point your attention to an open dataset of genealogical information of the Leiden archive: http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opencultuurdata.nl%2Fwiki%2Fregionaal-archief-leiden-genealogische-data%2F

So if you are just a tiny bit Dutch check that dataset!

Cheers,

Maarten