[OpenGLAM] City Archives Amsterdam

Georgia Angelaki georgiaangelaki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:48:58 UTC 2013

Hi all,

i bumped into the french national library's "adopt a book for digitisation"
[1] project.

There is a special website dedicated to the project where you can propose a
book and choose a book for digitisation and follow  at what stage of the
process it is in. The book must be in the public domain [2]. One can also
see the full list of books and who's paid for them and he can consult
directly the books from the website and copy the link of their display [3].
The donors' names also appear on Gallica, the digital library.

Apparently there are fiscal benefits for individuals and companies for
donating money although I couldn't see anywhere how much it costs and how
costs are being calculated.

Gallica has a public domain policy (although the public domain has a kind
of a different meaning in the french law where you can do all sorts of
things with the content but for commercial reuse if I am not mistaken).

I personally love this project!

It would be nice to see how far it's been successful. France is apparently
experimenting with different models for digitisation, including big
agreements with publishers and it would be nice to have some comparative
picture of the success of the different models, at least for what is going
on with regards to the books in the public domain...Is this of any interest
to the group? Could our french friends tell us more about these things?
Maybe you could propose to the BNF to launch the site in English?  That
would attract more donors to start with...
:-)

Best regards,
Georgia

[1]