[OpenGLAM] Future of OpenGLAM

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 12:25:52 UTC 2013

Joris, congratulations on your new post.  I also think it's wonderful to
see that someone working within another organization can assist at the
leadership level with a core OKF initiative.  It's an encouraging precedent
for collaboration.

I know I also look forward to seeing the updated OpenGLAM principles.

- Heath
  TX Ambassador, OKF

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 4:38 AM, Prakash Neupane <nprkshn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Congratulation Joris for your new work :)
>
> Yah obvious, we should establish the connection with the similar minded
> organization working for open GLAM, which are working locally.
>
> Thanks
> Prakash Neupane
> Ambassador
> Open Knowledge Foundation Nepal
>

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Joris Pekel <jpekel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Over the last weeks it has been relatively quiet on the OpenGLAM blog and
>> mailing list. This is partially due to summer holidays, but also because I
>> recently have left the Open Knowledge Foundation to work for the Europeana
>> Foundation as the Community Coordinator Cultural Heritage. Here I will work
>> even closer together with cultural heritage institutions to show the
>> benefits of opening up their collections, both for themselves, as for
>> society as a whole.
>>
>> What will this mean for OpenGLAM? Well basically, not too much. OpenGLAM
>> has established itself over the last year as a network of people involved
>> in the cultural heritage sector where we share knowledge, write blogposts,
>> and collaborate to organise meetings and events with cultural heritage
>> institutions to work to make their material available for everybody to
>> re-use without any restrictions.
>>
>> As the largest European project when it comes to open digital heritage,
>> Europeana has always been an important partner of the OpenGLAM network.
>> Together we have organised last years OKFestival session on building the
>> cultural commons, and during the same week Harry Verwayen from Europeana
>> announced on the main stage that all metadata on Europeana would be
>> available under a completely open CC0 license, an amazing achievement for
>> the work we have all been doing together.
>>
>> As part of my new role at Europeana, I will remain coordinating the
>> OpenGLAM working group alongside Sam Leon from the Open Knowledge
>> Foundation. Together with our working group and advisory board we will work
>> to set out the plans for OpenGLAM for the coming period. A few of the
>> things I would like to work on:
>>
>> * Grow the network of OpenGLAM members. We have brought together people
>> from around the world that are working to open up cultural data and
>> content. We meet once a month to update each other about our activities,
>> think about blogpost to write, and discuss next steps to be taken. Very
>> often, working group members serve as a bridge between local initiatives
>> and the global network. We are happy to share our knowledge with anybody
>> that is involved in the cultural sector, or wants to initiate a similar
>> initiative - like the recent founding of OpenGLAM Austria.
>>
>> * Finalise the OpenGLAM principles. You have been giving incredibly
>> valuable feedback to the first set of principles we developed. We now have
>> to rework them and include your comments and get back to you. If you are
> [...]

Heath Rezabek
Outreach & Collaborations Coordinator, Starship Congress
USA (512) 507-1101
hrezabek at icarusinterstellar.org
@starshipcongrss
 <https://twitter.com/StarshipCongrss>starshipcongress.com