[OpenGLAM] Big Data vs. Small Data: What about GLAMs?

Joris Pekel joris.pekel at okfn.org
Thu May 2 09:35:52 UTC 2013

Dear all,

Last week, Rufus Pollock of the Open Knowledge Foundation published an
intriguing post on Big Data vs. Small Data saying 'Forget Big Data, Small
Data is the real revolution' (
http://blog.okfn.org/2013/04/22/forget-big-data-small-data-is-the-real-revolution/
)

I saw some brief Twitter discussion on this topic related to GLAMs and have
now put some of my thoughts into a blog post.  Europeana will for example
soon reach the 30 million metadata records mark which is a great
achievement, but how do we make sense of such huge amounts of data? Where
is the curation of that data? And who should do that? The GLAM, or the user?

Read more here:
http://openglam.org/2013/05/02/big-data-vs-small-data-what-about-glams/

Would love to hear your thoughts about this topic on the mailing list!

Cheers,

Joris

--
Joris Pekel