[OpenGLAM] Fwd: [GLAM] Wiki Loves Public Art has started!

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri May 3 08:40:54 UTC 2013

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------

 Sorry for cross posting.

Dear everybody,

The photo contest Wiki Loves Public Art
<http://www.wikilovespublicart.com/>has now taken of with a bang, with
over 800 pictures uploaded day one!

I would like to invite all of you to enrich our articles with great photos
of public artworks! Please take this opportunity to have a closer look at
all the fantastic art around you and if you live in or visit one of the
five participating countries (Austria, Finland, Israel, Spain and Sweden)
do take some photos and upload them to Wikimedia Commons.

If you upload pictures and participate you will first take part in the
national contest where you can win nice prizes, and if your picture(s) is
considered amongst the best (by the national jury) your photos will then
also participate in the international contest<http://wikilovespublicart.org/>.
At the international contest you have a chance of winning a travel check of
up to 500 Euros and a high quality print of your photo, sponsored by
Europeana <http://europeana.eu/>!

In some countries the focus of the contest will be on public artworks
outdoors while in some countries it will be on museum collections of old PD
artworks. A great mix that is! In the countries where we are focusing on
outdoor artworks, volunteers have worked hard to compile lists of the art
collections as there are no existing databases on the national level. This
has been a hard work and this year we are therefore seeing smaller pilots
in each country to try out the concept. In Sweden the focus is on artworks
in museums and a lot of work has gone into initiating cooperations with
Swedish art museums.

To be sure where you can take photos, please have a look at your country's
website <http://wikilovespublicart.org/english-pages/> and read more about
the contest! If your country is not participating this year but you would
like to be involved you can sort through the
categories<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Public_Art_2013>and
see where we can use them on Wikipedia! We would really love if you
would blog, tweet and talk about the contest as much as possible to let
people know about this new initiative!

Don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.

Best,

John
- - - -
*John Andersson*
Wikimedia Sverige
Project Leader Europeana Awareness

Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
Email: john.andersson at wikimedia.se <JohnAndersson86 at hotmail.com>
Skype: johnandersson86

Be sure to follow us on Twitter at
@wikieuropeana<http://twitter.com/#%21/wikieuropeana>
Would you like to support free knowledge? Please consider becoming a
member<https://donera.wikimedia.se/node/6>of Wikimedia Sweden!

--
Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>
Director of Policy and Ideas