[OpenGLAM] Notes from the OpenGLAM workshop at OKCon

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Tue Oct 1 14:25:31 UTC 2013

Dear all:

I understand the primary goal here is to spread open culture, but for
that to work these days, free culture licenses are not the only practice
that needs to be enco7uraged.  We won't be able to have open culture if
the means to access it is locked away.

Free software is important because spyware and malware can be hidden
with impunity in closed source software and javascript on web pages.
Many people use browser add-ons like NoScript as protection against the
the java script launch of viruses into our systems.    For me, the
referenced web page
http://openglam.org/2013/09/19/openglam-switzerland-workshop-okcon-2013/
was badly broken (see attachment for screenshot) until I allowed
javascript.  My usual response to such a page is to leave (and I know
I'm not the only one).   This is hardly conducive to sharing culture.

More important still is the danger of DRM.  Many people are unaware of
the powerful American corporate copyright lobby, which is working to
enact secret trade agreements as well as directly pressuring governments
to change laws to serve their special interests at the expense of the
rights of the public.  We know (thanks to Wikileaks) that American
pressure led to Canadian enactment of new copyright law that makes
circumvention of DRM illegal for *any* purpose - including access of
digital content we have a legal right (ie. our own work, freely licensed
or public domain material).

These issues may not bother anyone now, but if things continue as they
are, we may wake up one morning to find the digital commons locked
behind DRM (perhaps because one corporation controls the software &
hardware of all our digital devices, or perhaps another corporation
controls the Internet).

Regards,
Laurel L. Russwurm