[OpenGLAM] GLAM Cafe Philadelphia & an interested Collections Manager

Mary Mark Ockerbloom celebration.women at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 17:36:45 UTC 2013

First, an invitation: Starting November 12, 2013, the second Tuesday
of each month, we'll be holding a monthly GLAM Cafe evening meetup at
the Chemical Heritage Foundation in Philadelphia.  The concept is
similar to DC's WikiSalon, but the GLAM Cafe will be open to a
broader audience. People with interests in the areas of GLAM, digital
humanities and Wikipedia are invited to get together and work on all
sorts of ideas and projects. We hope that local Wikipedians will meet
and form an ongoing breakout group; this is also a great opportunity
to get to know people at a variety of GLAM institutions. In addition
to editing, people have expressed interest in commons contributions
and in using Wikipedia when teaching classes (e.g. digital literacy,
history).  If anyone is interested in attending, and will be
available on the second Tuesday of the month, you'd be most welcome!
For more details, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Philadelphia/2013_GLAM_Cafe

One of the people who'll be attending this month's GLAM Cafe is
Marianne Weldon, a recent Wikipedian and also the Collections Manager
of Art and Artifacts at Bryn Mawr College. I spoke with her and
others at Bryn Mawr in September.  Marianne is very interested in
having Bryn Mawr contribute to Wikimedia Commons.    You can see a
catalog of Bryn Mawr's holdings at:  http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/

As a comment to the GLAM Cafe meetup,
<http://www.meetup.com/__ms36873222/GLAM-Cafe-Philadelphia/events/143492152/comments/264243922/t/uc1_rd/?itemTypeToken=COMMENT&read=1&_af_eid=143492152&_af=event&expires=1382825588600&sig=207392107d3f709ada691dfcd5bd8c08fdbd6bd4>Marianne
Weldon	[User:Mweldon] writes,

	"<http://www.meetup.com/__ms36873222/GLAM-Cafe-Philadelphia/events/143492152/comments/264243922/t/uc1_rd/?itemTypeToken=COMMENT&read=1&_af_eid=143492152&_af=event&expires=1382825588600&sig=207392107d3f709ada691dfcd5bd8c08fdbd6bd4>I'd
love to know if anyone has developed standards/instructions for
helping to train people to edit records, and/or to upload large
numbers of images to creative commons, etc. that they would be
willing to share."

If there are people here who could speak to her concern, and would
like to get in touch with her, or send suggestions to this list that
I can forward to her, that would be very helpful. (Chemical Heritage
Foundation' isn't at the point of doing mass uploads, so I don't have
experience relevant to what she's interested in doing.)  What tools
are people currently using for mass uploads, and who would be good
contacts at Wikipedia for Marianne and possibly others to talk to?

Many thanks,
Mary Mark Ockerbloom, Wikipedian in Residence, Chemical Heritage Foundation
Mary Mark Ockerbloom  http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/
Celebration of Women Writers    celebration.women at gmail.com
"To make books is to time travel, to magically acquire the
ability to be in many places at once." -- Audrey Niffenegger