[OpenGLAM] Content Trafficking v.3

Bettina Cousineau bdcousineau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 14:49:02 UTC 2013

Folding in Maarten's comments, v.3 looks like this:

"Content trafficking is the practice of restricting access to public domain
works, and determining the work's use/re-use through permission and/or
licensing fees.

A host institution controls the use/re-use outcomes and the levels of
income from extracted "their" public domain works."

According to comments submitted, it seems that as long as the chi (cultural
heritage institution) allows third parties/individuals the same rights to
use/re-use as they themselves exercise, a fee structure is acceptable.

As I suspected, it is not only cultural heritage institutions that practice
this - I have just confirmed that individuals "re-copyright" known public
domain images and exploit them under (US) copyright law as their own. Urgh.

Bettina