[OpenGLAM] content trafficking

Ewan Klein ewan.klein at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:26:19 UTC 2013

On 11 Sep 2013, at 10:48, theo kuechel wrote:

> I have been following this discussion with interest, and have just come across another model. Musopen https://musopen.org/ offers free music resources including recordings, sheet music, and textbooks, without copyright restrictions.
>
> Downloads are limited to 5 per day at standard audio quality, but for a  small fee ($55 pa) you get unlimited high quality downloads.  The fee is used to sustain and build the resource.

This is a variant of the so-called freemium model, one of several approaches for publishers of open data. There is a useful review of the business-case issues by Jeni Tennison of ODI, which might provide a useful framework / contextualisation for some of this discussion:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/124951288/The-business-of-Open-Data-where-s-the-benefit
http://epsiplatform.eu/content/wheres-open-data-benefit

Regards,

Ewan