[OpenGLAM] Content Trafficking v.3

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:36:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Estermann Beat <beat.estermann at bfh.ch>wrote:

> Personally, I’m not very happy with the term “content trafficking” as it
> seems unnecessarily polarizing to me. And I wonder whether the kind of
> black-and-white thinking implied by the term “content trafficking” and the
> definition that you suggest, will lead to the best possible results in
> terms of “content liberation”.

The word "trafficking" is polarizing in general in this day and age ("human
trafficking" being the most notable example), though it does successfully
add urgency to the matter, and in a day and age (again) where laws and
ideas of openness are evolving quickly, perhaps that urgency is needed.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> I don’t find it particularly revolting if institutions partly withhold
> public domain works from the public domain if this is necessary to recoup a
> significant part of the costs related to digitization and enhancement of
> metadata. Some of the Google Digitization Partnerships would probably fall
> into this category: Public domain works are made available under some sort
> of a non-commercial use-agreement during 10-12 years; after that the GLAM
> institution is free to make the original scans available as real “public
> domain” works. Being able to full-text-search and consult the documents
> online now with some usage restrictions might be preferable to waiting for
> another 10-20 years, before the GLAM institutions actually is able to raise
> funds from other sources to finance the digitization of the works.****
>
> **

I *do* find it rather revolting. I've worked at institutions who have paid
for employee positions based on the selling of public domain works. It just
shows that there is a lack of funding on the donor side for digitization
programs. If donors were giving money to digitize, and provide free access
to PD collections maybe this wouldn't be a problem. But, development
departments are generally clueless (at least in the United States) about
copyright discussions and most donors are as well. It's going to take a
special type of donor to destroy the power that Google has over these
organizations, a power that I find particularly disturbing.

And I continue to stand by the concept that non-commercial licensing is
still not *true* free licensing. Free licensing isn't about fear.

> **
>
> What I find revolting, however, are GLAMs withholding public domain works
> or attaching CC-non commercial licenses to two-dimensional scans without
> actually recouping a significant part of the production costs. They often
> have their digitization programs financed by public funds, but still hamper
> the access to the public domain works. These cases are quite common, and I
> think it would be worthwhile focusing on them first, before we attack any
> other practices which are not ideal either, but might fall into some grey
> zone and might also have some good arguments in their favor.****
>
> **

In the United States, a large portion of the digitization projects are
funded from private foundations, with a small portion of funding coming
from public funds (which could even be defined a bit differently than EU
public funds, so to say). These private foundations often dictate the type
of content to be digitized. One example - in the federal government, when
you receive private foundation funding you have to (95% of the time) hire
contractors to handle the digitization. I could elaborate on the issues
with that, but, I won't right now. And of course, most of the museums in
the United States (and archives/galleries) are privately ran non-profits,
with libraries being state or county ran (with little to no money) or
privately ran (university). So we have a whole hot mess on our hands here,
which I know people tend to forget.

I just have to continue to stress that there are some differences in the
United States versus EU, just like many other countries.

-Sarah

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
*www.sarahstierch.com*