[OpenGLAM] Content Trafficking v.3

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Sep 16 09:13:39 UTC 2013

On 09/11/2013 05:54 PM, Estermann Beat wrote:

> What I find revolting, however, are GLAMs withholding public domain
> works or attaching CC-non commercial licenses to two-dimensional scans
> without actually recouping a significant part of the production costs.

Your mistake is that you believe that making
content freely available would be beneficial to
GLAM institutions. If that were the case, then
they would consider it harmful to withhold
content. But you should read their annual
reports: Where do they brag about making
content freely available? They brag about
getting large donations and about having
many physical visitors. But making more
material freely available is usually not on
the plus side of their accounting.

--
   Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)