[OpenGLAM] Book scanners?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Feb 16 17:50:55 UTC 2014

On 02/16/2014 06:16 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:
>>> Does anyone on this list have any book scanner recommendations (or the
>>> opposite)? Budget around £10,000...
>> Volume: current project is 500,000 pages.

With that budget, you hope to do 50 pages per pound,
which sounds a bit optimistic. Is that your total budget,
or only your equipment budget? Are man-hours and
administration included?

If you cooperate with the Internet Archive, they offer
to scan for $0.10 per page, on the condition that the
digitized works can be openly published online. If the
pound is $1.50, this will buy you 15 pages per pound.
They do this at a loss: The money covers the staff to
do the scanning, but the equipment, administration
and storage is already paid for by the Internet Archive.

I've heard of several projects that budget £1-5 per page
for digitization and I think some projects can be done
for £0.10 per page, but not £0.02 per page.

--
   Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
   Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/