[OpenGLAM] Data loss in digitization projects?

Lieke Ploeger lieke.ploeger at okfn.org
Tue Feb 18 12:30:26 UTC 2014

Dear Daniel (and others),

I do not know more about this specific company, but it is definitely an
interesting topic.
My former colleague of the National Library of the Netherlands, Barbara
Sierman works as Digital Preservation Manager and has set up a great
initiative called the Atlas of Digital Damages, where stories and examples
of what can go wrong with digital data are collected.
It is available here: http://www.atlasofdigitaldamages.info/v1/ - under
Stories you can find many examples of data loss.

Best, Lieke

On 18 February 2014 10:40, Daniel Mietchen
<daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I think I have come across, in a GLAM-Wiki context, a story about a
> company (probably in Italy, perhaps in Florence) that had done one (or
> some) digitization projects and then went bankrupt, leaving no data
> whatsoever, despite considerable public investment in the project.
>
> Do any of you remember details and have a link on the matter? Do you
> know of similar cases of data loss in digitization projects?
>
> Thanks and cheers,
>
> Daniel

Lieke Ploeger

Community Manager  | skype: laploeger  |
@liekeploeger<https://twitter.com/liekeploeger>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on