[OpenGLAM] irony of CC-BY without PIs

Catherine Styles cath.styles at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 01:07:36 UTC 2014

Chiming in to the attribution debate about Wellcome Images...

I've just selected a great set of 95 images to ingest into a game of
resemblance <http://sembl.net> I'm building. I'm quite *happy to
attribute*Wellcome as the source; in fact I'm keen to publish a link
back to each
item, *so that players can discover* as much of *the context for each
image*as possible.

Trouble is, Wellcome images don't seem to have any kind of unique
identifier as far as finding them on the web goes. The system seems to
generate URLs based on the lightbox I've created to (temporarily) store
them. Most collections will fall short of the exemplary Rijksmuseum, State
Library of Victoria, Trove etc, with their short, guaranteed-persistent
identifiers, but really, I'd be happy with a reasonably predictable and
persistent-looking URL for each thing.

I've sent a query about it to Wellcome Images, so hopefully there is a
non-obvious way to do this kind of enhanced (but really, basic!) online
attribution.

My point here and now is simply that if you want attribution, you should
make it easy – not just to say that this item comes from your collection,
but to direct people to its home within your collection database.
Cath

@cathstyles
@semblnet