[OpenGLAM] The First World War Centenary: The site that brings all sides together launches in Berlin

Daley, Beth Beth.Daley at bl.uk
Wed Jan 29 11:32:02 UTC 2014

The Deputy Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and Media, Günter Winands, today launched Europeana 1914-1918, an online resource that opens up hidden stories of the First World War and shows the tragedy that shaped Europe from different sides of the conflict.

Read press release in German <http://pro.europeana.eu/documents/900548/3880d784-b6cc-490b-9be4-d79696cbf0b5>

Read press release in English <http://pro.europeana.eu/pressrelease/29jan>

Europeana 1914-1918 <http://www.europeana1914-1918.eu/>  is the most important pan-European collection of original First World War source material. It is the result of three years of work by 20 European countries and will include:

*	400,000 rare documents digitised by 10 state libraries and two other partners in Europe
*	660 hours of unique film material digitised by audiovisual archives
*	90,000 personal papers and memorabilia of some 7,000 people involved in the war, held by their families and digitised at special events in 12 countries

The Minister of Culture, Monika Grütters, said on the occasion of the launch:

'Among the numerous projects the Federal Government of Germany is initiating and financially supporting during the current Centenary 2014, Europeana 1914-1918 is a highlight due to its pan-European dimension. It shows the stark difference between the European disruptions of that time and our way of cooperating nowadays. It is vital for the Government to point out, especially to young people, that today's Europe is a union based on shared values, policies and justice. That's the best way to avoid the wars, terror and fragmentation that Europe suffered in the 20th century. We don't just want to show historical events, we want to use them for the present and the future. The Europeana project will help shape our views of that time and it will make a great contribution to the mutual understanding of the European people, despite the conflicts of history.'

For more information on the launch and related events please see our press release <http://pro.europeana.eu/pressrelease/29jan>

To explore Europeana 1914-1918, go to europeana1914-1918.eu <http://europeana1914-1918.eu/>

Best wishes,

Beth

Beth Daley
PR & Editorial Officer
www.europeana.eu <http://www.europeana.eu/>

www.pro.europeana.eu/blog

Please note that I will be on maternity leave as of 13th February 2014.

Phone: +44 (0) 1937 546345

Mobile: +44 (0) 770 6526450
Email: beth.daley at bl.uk

Skype: beth_daley

Europeana makes Europe's culture available for all, across borders and generations and for creative re-use - follow how at #AllezCulture <http://bit.ly/17mnbL7>

  <https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23AllezCulture&src=typd>

Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

P  Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail.

Experience the British Library online at http://www.bl.uk/

The British Library’s latest Annual Report and Accounts : http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the mailto:postmaster at bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

 Think before you print